Phentland Rd - Isle of Lewis - Western Isles
The Phentland road was a Government funded road approved by an Act of Parliament in 1891. The project was put on hold for many years after contractors went "bust" and was completed in 1912
Click the pictures below for larger images
Isle of Lewis - History - Phentland Road - Western Isles History
Some have attributed the Pentland Road to be another of Lord Leverhulme's plans which never materialised. However the road /railway plans which were to have linked the harbour's of Carloway and Stornoway were about well before Lord Leverhulme bought the islands.