Scalpay - Scapaigh - Scalpay - Isle of Harris
Scalpay - Scapaigh - or Scalpa as it also called - a lovely scenic island off the coast of the Isle of Harris in the Western Isles. The Isle of Scalpay is attached to The Isle of Harris by The Scalpay Bridge which was opened in 1998. The shoreline was rocky and seaweed strewn. Scalpay is about two miles long and a mile wide . Bonnie Prince Charlie was given refuge here during his flight to Stornoway and over to France after his defeat at Culloden in 1746
Click the pictures below for larger images
Scalpay - Remote Family Owned Island - Western Isles
This family owned, remote island in the stretch of water between the Isle of Skye and the Applecross Peninsula on the west coast of Scotland with magnificent views over to Skye, Raasay and the mainland.With some 600 acres of mixed and coniferous woodland, lots of freshwater lochs and burns, open hills and more than 14 miles of shoreline. This lovely island near Harris is the perfect place to experience wildlife and enjoy the natural beauty of the surroundings
The Scalpay Bridge
The Scalpay Bridge was formally declared open in 1998. The bridge linking The Isle of Scalpay with The Isle of Harris was of great importance to the Scalpay residents who numbered 403 at the time it was built. Work began on the bridge in 1996. When it was opened the much loved oldest resident of Scalpay - Mrs Kirsty Morrison who was 103 took part in the opening,
It was seen that this fixed connection between Scalpay and Harris ended Scalpay's separate existence as an island.
A vintage car owned by Mr John Murdo Morrison led a cavalcade across the bridge from Harris. In the cavalcade were local buses, police, ambulances, refuse collection lorries and many service vehicles.
The design for the bridge is a very narrow structure in relation to span. The bridge of course is extremely strong as it has to withstand the high winds. The bridge spans 171m
Scalpay Viability as an Island Community
The Western Isles Council's has a policy which they hope will secure the islands viabilty to continue to work as an island communit by replacing ferry links to small islands with causeways or bridges.
Short Lived Benefit for Scalpay - Salmon Farm
The bridge was a key factor in the subsequent decision of Stolt to site their £5.7m salmon farming operation here in 2001: sadly it then closed in 2005
Beautiful Hebridean Island
Scalpay is just three miles by two, and has a population - though diminishing now (2017) of a couple of hunfred persons and Scalpay may feel more urban than just about anywhere else in the Western Isles outside Stornoway.
Scalpay has two harbours
The south west coast of the island faces into the shelter of Loch Tarbert, it has two superb natural harbours, North Harbour and South Harbour.
Herring Industry in The Past Used Scalpay Harbours
From 1912 Stornoway was the busiest place for the Scottish herring fishing industry and there were then over a 1,000 boats, lots of these used Scalpay's harbours in preference to Tarbert or sometimes Stornoway itself.
Scalpay - Fishing and Wool and Crafts
Native Scalpachs developed their own fisheries over the years, often for prawns.
Today over half the male workforce is still engaged in fishing. And many of the women on the island are engaged in an equally traditional activity, the production of distinctive Scalpay jerseys from Harris wool.
At the south east tip of Scalpay is the first lighthouse built in the Western Isles, at Eilean Glas. The tower was made larger in 1824. The original lighthouse was built in 1788. The work was started by the Northern Lighthouse Board, but ran into problems.
The estate manager hired local labour and completed the job using the original plans. The NLB heard what was happening through a report from the captain of a ship who had seen the building work, and returned in time to give the finished lighthouse their belated blessing.
Lovely Views acroos the Scalpay Harbours
Scalpay's main settlement surrounds its North Harbour, the south side of which provides some superb views across the harbour and the village.
The Isle of Lewis - the largest of the Islands in The Outer Hebrides, has a remarkable history and all over the island there are medieval structures. The Callanish stones, blackhouese, Shawbost Mill and the Carloway Broch to name a few of the sights. As well as all these there are lovely Hebrides Beaches like Bosta - Tolsta, Uig......
Scalpay is an island just off the coast of The Isle of Harris. Scalpay Harris is the southern and more mountainous part of Lewis. Harris divides naturally into northern and southern parts which are separated by West and East Loch Tarbert. The Isle of Harris is really pretty with stunning beaches, like the award winning Luskentyre Beach and Rocky Mountaneous areas ......